Team Members

David Chambers
Beth Coe
Lynn Crouch
Rob Crouch
Jim Keesaer
Al Olivetti

Friday, August 21, 2009

New Sponsors...

A few years ago, largely out of boredom I dabbled with a fitness program/lifestyle change featuring an ayurvedic diet. My interest and research brought me to a local healing arts center called Kimah. Little did I know at that time, Kimah was also partly owned by a mother of one of my son’s school friends. He would recount delicious stories to me about spending the night with this friend and walking to the store to partake in divine peanut butter milkshakes….healthy ones.

A few months later, I discovered George Gantt and realized that he worked at the same place… Kimah. Wanting to encourage my mother to partake in a healthier lifestyle, I researched and a few weeks later signed the both of us up for a class with George. George is a Tai Chi and Quigong instructor as well as a certified Chinese massage therapist. George also has extensive knowledge in Chinese medicine. I love alternative medicine and was easily intrigued by George’s classes, his calming demeanor and his therapeutic presence. In contrast to other hyped, intense personal trainers in Greenville who want to see you dead lift x amount of pounds or chisel out a 6-pack, George approaches fitness in terms of lifelong health, not just an outwardly pretty package, but an inner balance and fitness.

During my first consultation, he quietly listened to me, looked at me, listened to my pulse and almost eerily but accurately told me my weaknesses – what I eat too much of, what I drink too much of, what I needed physically. He did the same for my mother. I was impressed by his serenity, his ageless appearance. What I loved most about my class with George was that it was held outside. We met in the park, surrounded by nature, breathing fresh air to work on running, strength training, de-stressing, food choices, etc. At the end of the program, with better over all fitness, I moved on to other running programs, boot camp programs, on my own. George probably wouldn’t remember me, he has so many students…but I tucked the knowledge I gained away for safe keeping. That was about 2 years ago. Since then, I still see him in the park as I ride by on my bike…with new classes, new students who want to make the same lifestyle changes.

As we began to look for sponsors for 2010 for our cycling team, we were all in agreement that we wanted to support local businesses and vice versa, in which we really believed. Kimah was the first to jump to mind. After a few meetings with Tina (one of the owners), we were all eager to partner together. Kimah’s healing arts center offers a full range of fitness for every individual… from martial arts, to massage, to tasty snacks. It’s more than a “workout” place, it’s a lifestyle, which is exactly what Go Tri Sports and the Go Tri Sports Cycling Team wants to foster… it’s not just a store, it’s a lifestyle. We couldn’t have picked a better match.

The day we made it official, Tina had a pleasant surprise for us. Not only was Kimah going to sponsor us, but so was George Gantt, with his Equilibrium Gym. We’re grateful for their willingness to sponsor our young cycling team and allowing us the opportunity to represent their wonderful businesses in the cycling community. They have so much to offer. Check out their classes at their location on Augusta Road, in Greenville or stop by for an organic lunch or snack in their cafĂ©.

The cafe at Kimah...


George Gantt performing Tai Chi...

No comments:

Post a Comment